Clams with Vodka, Red Wine, Italian Sausage Red Sauce with Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Recipe
-3 dozen manila or littleneck clams (about 1 1/2 pounds)
-3 tablespoons Sonoma Farm Extra Organic Virgin Olive Oil
-1 pound long pasta
-8 to 10 ounces Italian sausage casing removed
-2 medium shallots, finely chopped
-4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
-3/4 cup vodka
-1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
-2 can crushed tomato’s 28 oz
-3/4 cup of tomato paste
-1 teaspoon of basil
-1/2 cup red wine
– 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1. Fill a large bowl with cold water and place clams in the water (they should be covered). Let soak for 10 minutes, then drain. Scrub clams under cold water and set aside.
2. Fill a large pot with heavily salted water and bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta liquid. Return pasta to the pot and set aside.
3. In sauce pan add crushed tomato’s, tomato paste, basil, red wine, red pepper bring to boil.
4. While the pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large, straight-sided pan with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the Italian sausage and break it up with the back of a spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, about 6 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from heat, carefully add vodka, and stir to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add reserved clams, cover, and steam until the clams open, about 3 to 5 minutes. (Discard any that don’t open.)
6. Add clams, Italian sausage, reserved pasta water, pasta sauce and parsley to the pot with the pasta and stir to combine.
Serve while hot.