Cherry Balsamic Mousse
-1/2 cup 3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
-1 large egg yolk
-Tiny pinch of salt
-1 tablespoon granulated sugar
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla
-2 ounces bittersweet (72 percent) chocolate, chopped
– 2 teaspoons Sonoma Farm Cherry Balsamic
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of the cream in a small (1-quart) heavy saucepan just until bubbles start to form around the edge of the pan.
2. Whisk together the egg yolk, sugar, and salt in a small heatproof bowl. Add the hot cream in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Transfer mixture back to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. This can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. Resist the urge to turn the heat up or you’ll risk scrambling the egg.
3. Meanwhile, melt chocolate. You can do this in a microwave by heating for 30 seconds at 50 percent power. Remove the bowl and stir the chocolate. Repeat for 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted — about 90 seconds. If you don’t have a microwave, you can melt the chocolate in a small heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring frequently. Let cool slightly.
4. Pour the custard through a fine sieve into the chocolate. Add vanilla and cherry balsamic and whisk custard into chocolate until smooth. Let cool.