Fresh Apple Olive Oil Cake Recipe
- 2 large Grany Smith apples, peeled and chopped as finely as possible
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Sonoma Farm extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup gold raisins, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes and then drained well
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- reheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chopped apples in a bowl and add orange juice; just enough juice to toss and coat apples so as to prevent browning.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside for now
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, add sugar and extra virgin olive oil. Mix on low for 2 minutes until well-combined
- While mixer is on, add the eggs, one at a time, and continue to mix another 2 minutes until mixture increases in volume (it should be thicker but still runny)
- In the large bowl with the dry ingredients, make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Add the wet mixture (the sugar and olive oil mixture) into the well. Stir until just blended; it will be a thick batter.
- Drain raisins (which have been soaking in water) completely. Add both raisins and apples to the batter and mix with spoon until well-combined.
- Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Spoon thick batter into the pan, and level the top.
- Bake in 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick or wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan. Dust with confectioner’s sugar.